Shipments Abroad

Everything about customs declarations

If you want to send a parcel to a country outside the EU, you have to fill in a customs declaration. This is also necessary if you want to send something to areas which do not belong to the customs territory of the EU.

Don't worry if this all sounds confusing. A quick glance at this document will provide clarity.

Okay, so we know that you need a customs declaration for Greenland. This will allow you to reveal to customs what is in your parcel.

Now you have to clarify whether the content exceeds the current value of 371,55 Euro. This value limit varies, so it is better to take a look at this page of the Deutsche Post before shipping.

Under 371,55 Euro? Then you require form CN 22. What if you pack something else into your parcel, but now you're over the limit? Then you'll need form CN 23.

By the way, you must always attach the customs declaration to the outside of your package, preferably on the top. Never put it in the package. Quoting Deutsche Post:"The Universal Postal Union recommends that the customs declaration CN23 should not be affixed to the parcel but attached to the parcel instead in a transparent, self-adhesive envelope. This allows customs officers to remove the form if necessary and, after checking, to place it back in its holder."

In part 2 we will explain what else you have to watch out for: What is a commercial invoice, which checkboxes you should tick if you send eBay goods, and where you can get further help. Among other things, of course, from your friendly helpers at Packator, who can bring you the required form.

Do you have any questions or would like to know how Packator can help you simplify your shipment and logistic efforts?

Get in touch

Order a shipment and enjoy today the simple, convenient and reliable service we can offer.

Start shipping